Wednesday, 7 September 2011


Well, we've been back at the old house above Massat for a week now. It's been a busy week, unpacking, sorting out, putting away, cleaning.... it is nice to be back in our own house again, although the reasons why we left it 10 months ago haven't changed.

Although we had good weather for the move last Wednesday, things deteriorated dramatically over the weekend when the heavens opened and a tremendous volume of rain fell. I gather there was flooding down on the plain with rivers bursting their banks, but up here we were fine. I didn't let the wet weather stop me from getting out and took the pooch up to the Peguere track on Sunday and had a wet blast around the 6km/200m+ circuit which I hadn't done for over a year. I flew around it, and easily ran sections that I remembered finding hard work in the past. A good feeling!

I had agreed to meet up with Pat for a mountain bike outing on Monday seeing as I was down in Varilhes for a dental appointment anyway. What a mudfest that turned out to be! It was a hoot, as we slipped and slid our way along deeply rutted, waterfilled tracks and skidded on wet rocks and stones. The 30km circuit proved to be a good workout and we rewarded ourselves with the obligatory coffee and cake afterwards.

Fortunately, the weather eventually cleared up and I carried on with the weather protection of the rear wooden terrasse which needs doing before winter comes. I hope to have that finished before we head off on more 'Travels in Sadie' at the end of the week. Watch this space for our progress!

Whilst we are on the subject of Sadie, I don't think I have yet shown you the finished interior? Here she is, complete with push-button catches on the cupboard and overhead locker doors and gas-lift stays fitted on the lift-up doors. The audio-visual equipment is now fully wired up and she's ready to go!

Today, we spent the afternoon up near Toulouse, where we hoped the inspector from Qualigaz would sign off the gas equipment installation and the van's ventilation and gives us the all important certificate. I am pleased to report that he did just that, so we are now one step closer to getting her officially recognised as a 'campervan'. We still have a rather onerous hoop to jump through with one other 'official' French institution which goes by the acronym DREAL before her new status is properly acknowledged, but hopefully we can get that out of the way when we get back here in October. Cross your fingers and toes for us!

No comments: