Wednesday 12 March 2008

Peguère Intervals

Today has been my last day of 'serious' training for the Trail des Citadelles event which takes place in 10 days time. It had to count. Next week will be 'taper' week. So intervals it was. Andy and the pooch joined me as we made our gentle way, part walking, part jogging, up the 2kms from Pissou to the Col de Caognous. En route, we passed Josette and Eric's spot where they keep the goats. However, Andy noticed a small black bundle behind a wood stack as we made our way up the footpath behind their house. It was a young goat, very still, very alone, very vulnerable. The other goats were way down the hill, so mum had obviously abandoned him. So I picked him up in my arms and carried him back down to Josette's and tried to find her/Eric but it took a good 10 mins before I found Josette and brought the kid's plight to her attention. She was quite grateful!

So anyway, at Col de Caougnous, we paused before setting off on the intervals up the 3.5km hill. The first km or so is an average incline of 14.5%, so 1 minute max effort/2 mins recovery for 3 intervals. I managed to max out my heart rate which was the object of the exercise, before it dropped back down fairly rapidly on the recovery. Time to up the interval to 1.30min effort/2 min recovery. The final three intervals, I pushed it to 1.30mins effort/1.30mins recovery. On analysing the data from my Garmin, the first intervals on the steepest section were completed at approx 6.85 kph. On the final kilometre, which is an average 11% incline, average speed was 8.2kph. I was pleased with that. I felt good. Andy also had a good session and overcame his midway lactic acid build up and made it to the top. Good effort all round. The jog back down the hill was another good exercise in controlled downhill running which is always beneficial. So, just the occasional gentle run for the next 10 days and I should be well fit for the Citadelles with Pat!

No comments: