Tuesday 13 May 2008

Ascent

Today provided perfect conditions for a roadie outing. So I decided to head up to the Etang de Lers and decide from there whether I was going to head down to the Vicdessos Valley to Tarascon and then back up the Col de Port, or head up to the Col d'Agnes, down to Aulus and from there....? I wasn't sure. There were a few options.

The ride up to the Etang de Lers was straightforward enough but when I got there, I decided against the Vicdessos/Col de Port route, opting instead for the quieter roads of the Col d'Agnes and Aulus. I had forgotten how far it was up to the Col, a good 4kms up some pretty steep road in places but I eventually reached the high point at 1570m and was treated to magnificent views of the high mountains bordering Spain, with the descent road sinewing its way down to the valley below. The descent down to Aulus was long (nearly 10kms) but fast - I was pleased I was going in the other direction as it would be a pretty stiff ascent! The view down to Aulus was fantastic.I had to stop to photograph these amazing gentians on the way down - gentiana ligustica. They were quite the most beautiful flower I have ever seen!My legs were feeling quite tired from the 900+m of ascent I had already done, so I decided against heading up to the Col de Latrappe from Aulus. Instead, I headed back down the valley to Ercé, where I had the choice of either carrying on to Oust and taking the main road back up to Massat (longer but little ascent), or of heading back up to Cominac and the Col de Saraillé (steep initially, but ultimately a much shorter route). I decided on the latter. Fortunately, my decision to use the SIS energy powder in my drink was paying off and I still had plenty of energy, although my legs were tiring. I eventually made it home after just under 4 hrs in the saddle. On downloading the data from my Garmin, I was pleased with what I had achieved - 65kms and very nearly 1500m of ascent. It had been a good trip out.

No comments: