Saturday 10 May 2008

A spot of DIY

It has been a while since we cracked on with any DIY and there are quite a number of 'jobs pending', so yesterday Andy bravely got back on with his favourite job in the whole world (you may detect a note of sarcasm there) which is plaster skimming. Two thirds of the attic ceiling still needs to be skimmed before I can paint and the upper sections also require scrimming before they can be plaster skimmed. The plaster mix was worse than last time, if the language was anything to go by, but we don't have an alternative product to use at the moment, so the dog and I donned earplugs and did the 'tra la la la laaaaa, I can't hear you!' routine until the worst was over (I may be exaggerating a bit there, but you get the gist)! I, in the meantime, got on with fitting the mosquito/fly netting to the wooden frames that Andy made yesterday which means we can now have the windows open without the house being inundated with flies which was a major problem last year. So, progress is being made.

I also had a nice meander with the pooch this afternoon, photographing the wild flowers which I am now identifying. It is a beautiful time of year here, with the verges, lanes and woodland rich with spring flowers - the military orchid, cuckoo flower, pink campion, greater stichwort, buttercups, various vetches and violas are producing a colourful display! I rather like this very simple picture of a campion against our old barn wall;

No comments: