Wednesday 24 February 2010

Getting there

We've been back in the UK for just over a week now. The main point of coming back was to clear the house in Sheffield for completion of the sale. This was supposed to take place this Friday but has now been put back 10 days which has taken some of the pressure off. What has surprised me is just how quickly we have been able to get rid of so much stuff from the house, mainly thanks to the Freecycle Network which is an international and UK charity whose aim is to keep good stuff out of landfills. I have given everything from chests of drawers, bookcases, old TV and beds away to a new home which has been quite rewarding - I consider it good karma!

The clearance has not been an easy process as the house was my home for 16 years before we moved to France nearly 3 years ago. It has been hard to let go some items that have sentimental value for me, such as the lovely antique oak sideboard that was one of the first pieces of furniture that I bought for the house all those years ago. But the cost, time and effort required to ship it to France just cannot be justified. I have to let it go.

On the plus side, the other point of our trip back is to try and find a 4x4. Secondhand vehicles in the UK are half the price of those in France and, although the process of re-registering the vehicle in France is somewhat long-winded, the cost-saving makes it worthwhile. We are looking at one today that ticks all the boxes, so fingers crossed. Friday, we are heading up to the Lake District for a week. Hopefully the weather will be a bit kinder to us, as I have some good fell runs planned. I can't wait!

No comments: