Monday 11 February 2008

Sometimes it's nice to slow down

It seems that everytime I have been out recently, I have been either running or cycling, on a mission of some description or other. Today was different. After yesterday's exertions, hard exercise would have been a bad idea. But I wanted to get out to stretch my legs a tad and the pooch needed a mooch, so this afternoon I took Taff up the zig zags to the Cabane des Roses which is at approx 1600m, and actually walked the route for a change. This meant I was able to take the time to really look around me and to appreciate the fantastic environment that we have here. My attention was rewarded with the sight of some spectacular little flowers peeping up through the dead bracken... surely they are poking their heads up way too early? Erythronium Dens-canis, so I am led to believe. The temperatures have been unseasonably warm and they have been tricked into thinking spring has sprung.

The lack of snow at 1600m also testifies to the abnormal conditions for early February. Quite worrying.The view from the top was as beautiful as ever

No comments: