Wednesday 10 November 2010

Membrillo

....or, to give it its proper Spanish name, Dulce de Membrillo, is known as quince paste to us British folk. And, oh my Lord, it is lush! I picked up some cheap, 'straight from the tree' quinces in Lavelanet the other day, specifically with quince paste in mind. It is a simple recipe but I could really have done with the sieve with the roller bit (passoir à coulis) that we left back at Pissou rather than having to process the pulp through the sieve by hand which was truely tedious and time-consuming! And my maslin (jam pan) would also have been useful, but I managed with two pans all the same. The end result was truely delicious.

Membrillo is traditionally eaten with a slice of Manchego cheese and a glass of sherry in Spain. But I shall be eating it either spread on a chunk of fresh baguette with a morceau of Cantal Entre Deux cheese or straight from the fridge 'as is' - it is that delicious!

I still have a few quinces left and it would appear from some Google research that they go well with slow-cooked lamb. Guess what we will be having for dinner at the weekend?

No comments: