Sunday 17 August 2008

Gaining confidence

Today was the day. I had been looking forward to this moment for the past couple of weeks. I really hoped it would be OK. I have to admit I was apprehensive initially, but the apprehension was starting to give way to excitement as I walked down the road. Be confident and firm. Remember that advice, I told myself.

I needn't have worried. I started up the chainsaw and after a refresher from Andy on some of the important aspects of its use, I got stuck in straight away, felling a couple of smaller diameter dead trees and then a larger one which required a different approach. This was great! It started to feel more natural. I was no longer so afraid of the power of my new bit of kit. I was learning to use it, to harness it's power whilst all the time respecting it.

By the time we had finished, we had accumulated a decent quantity of already dead and seasoned wood which would provide a good initial supply for the woodburner this autumn. Tomorrow, we will load the car up and bring the wood back to Pissou where we will be logging it to useable lengths. It will be another opportunity to use the chainsaw and I can't wait!

No comments: