Wednesday 25 February 2009

Not meaning to gloat, but .....

What I didn't mention in my last post is that we popped into Mirande (I think) on our way back from the cyclosportive on Monday morning to check out the market there. From the back of his van, a local wine grower was dispensing red, white and rosé wine from tanks in the back of his van. He graciously filled 2 x 2 ltr water bottles for me, one with his 2006 red wine and the other with his rosé. The total price for the 4 litres was €4.80..... yes just €4.80 I wasn't expecting anything fantastic at that price, to be honest. But wow. I mean.... WOW!! The rosé is one of the lightest, softest, fruitiest rosés that I have ever tasted. The red is fruity, smooth with gentle tannins and very very quaffable. So, I don't mean to gloat, but, well the equivalent of over 5 bottles of truely delicious wine for under €1.00 a bottle ... cor! :-D Only problem is, that once the 2 ltr bottle is opened the wine starts to deteriorate, so there really is nothing for it but to enjoy it while fresh!

No comments: