Wednesday 14 October 2009

Boozey

I have had a kg of autumn fruiting raspberries and 3 or 4 kgs of sloes in the freezer for the past month and today I have finally got round to doing something with them. I have made two bottles of raspberry gin using a recipe from the Cottage Smallholder blog which looks really pretty and will hopefully taste delicious by Christmas. I have also made sloe vodka as a change from the sloe gin that I made last year. Hopefully it will be just as scrummy!

Last year, Jean-Claude from up the hill lopped a fruit tree that stands alongside where we park our car. This year, the branches are heavy with a fruit that appears to be a cross between an apple and a pear. The fruit is still very green but tastes sweet and is the texture of a very firm conference pear. Whatever they are, they will make a damn fine crumble!

No comments: