Saturday 12 September 2009

Coming together

Today, we scrimmed the kitchen and fireplace areas ready for Andy to plaster skim on Monday. The new concrete floor is curing well thanks to the humid atmosphere and the covering of plastic sheeting that we should be able to remove by the end of the weekend. It really is starting to feel like we have turned the corner of the kitchen renovation now and I can see how beautiful it is going to be.Andy recovered a lovely old piece of what I think is chestnut timber from the barn this afternoon which I sanded down before applying a coat of linseed oil which has really brought out the colour and grain. It is now in place above where the old sink was located.I also applied a coat of linseed oil to one of the oak kitchen unit doors to see what shade we would achieve and it has come out a wonderfully rich, warm colour enhancing the natural grain. Just beautiful! So, a busy week next week and I am hoping it will all be finished by the time mum and my brother come to visit in just under 2 weeks time!

On a different note, I pulled up 2 carrots from the potager this evening which were both notable for different reasons!!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Congratulations for the kitchen and for the french cancan carrot!

penny said...

It will be another 1-2 weeks before the ground floor is finished, Anne, but already I am excited at what we have achieved/are achieving! As for the carrot, there will be more, I am sure!!