Thursday 24 June 2010

Another fine roadie circuit from Paziols

It's hotting up here. But with the camera now fully charged and my legs feeling much improved following yesterday's stretching session, we hopped onto the road bikes again for another circuit of exploration around this cracking area. Once again, it did not disappoint. Quiet roads, gentle gradients, stunning scenery, nothing more to say really!

The village of Feuilla....quiet country lanes, poppies and blue skies ....
with the windfarms providing the only blot on the horizon....
Oh look, there's Mont Canigou .... again!
Good roads meandering up through little limestone gorges .... have I mentioned that there are several good spots for rock climbing here in the Aude? Quiet crags are guaranteed!
More vineyards and little villages....
The village of Vingrau nestled at the junction of two gorges....
And finally, a shot of Paziols showing its unspoilt situation ....
We covered just over 70kms with 789m of ascent in a little over 3 hours. Stats on the usual site. I am coming to the conclusion that, along with tight muscles due to a lack of stretching, inadequate fuelling is a core issue with my general feelings of fatigue. I have lost a couple of kgs over recent months and simply don't have the bodily reserves to draw on anymore. I therefore need to ensure that I am properly fuelled and hydrated before I even set out on a ride and continue fuelling with good strength SIS PSP22 sports fuel throughout my exertions. A shandy stop en route is also obligatory and the post-ride recovery routine of stuffing my face with cake and anything else that may be to hand must also be rigourously maintained.... naturally. The local wine is also proving to be a muscle relaxant 'par excellence' so a trip up the road to replenish supplies is required imminently.

No comments: