Wednesday 2 June 2010

Thwarted

After a morning down in Foix with meetings of various sorts, I was looking forward to getting out this afternoon seeing as the weather has cleared up a tad. I fancied running the forest track that leads from near Cominac, to the Col de Viele-Morte and along to beneath the Tuc de la Coume. But at Saraillé there was a most unwelcome sign on the road indicating 'Route Barrée à 1km/ Road closed in 1km'. OK, no problem, on to plan B. I knew there was a footpath up from Saraillé to the Col which would mean some steep walking rather than running initially but hey, it's all good exercise. It started off well enough. The commune has clearly been making great progress in clearing trees that came down on the path in the big snow storm in early MayBut then I came across a couple of pretty big uprooted trees which had not yet been cleared from the path Not a problem. I could pass below them and rejoin the path. Excellent. On a bit further and .... goddam it, the chainsaw gang must have run out of fuel!! The path and the hillside above it were littered with fallen trees and branches and below was a steep drop off.There was no point me spending an age fighting my way through/around/over the debris when there was no doubt more of the same further along the path. I was supposed to be out for a run, after all! So I turned round and ran back down the path. 'Run' aborted, Unfortunately it is much the same story throughout this immediate area. There was a notice pinned to the post at the entrance of the forest track at the Col de Port the other day advising that any traffic whether it be on foot, horse, bike, motorbike or vehicle was forbidden along the track for safety reasons due to the fallen trees. It's going to be a while before all paths and tracks are cleared. So tomorrow, I think I will head up to the Plateau de Beille and explore some of the paths and tracks up there on which I had so much fun in the winter. It's set to get hot over the next few days. Yay!

2 comments:

PigletinFrance said...

May the good weather remain with us once it finally arrives!

Will that be lots of fire wood for next winter?

PigletinFrance said...

May the good weather remain with us once it finally arrives!

Will that be lots of fire wood for next winter?